There's something about these GFY/OFY New Adult virgins...

Moment of Impact - Karen Stivali
FOUR HEARTS--I can speak for only myself, but I'm wary of MF writers who suddenly start writing MM Romance. I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm nobody's gatekeeper. But I am a frustrated reader when I see bad, telly MF writing that gets refurbished into a MM package. They are popular (good for you if you love them) but they can't fool me. I'm like a bloodhound when it comes to this type of writing after reading however many books in the romance genre (of the MM and MF variety).

This book passes my test.

A MF writer who has the chops to write a decent New Adult, MM Romance.

Not without a few issues (that last 15% or so - I'll get to that) but the main characters read like...boys! With penises!

It read like a typical MM romance which made me happy to read. And I plan on reading the next in the series. Probably will check out the author's other stuff, I liked her writing style that much.

Collin Fitzpatrick is 20, tightly inside the closet. He was raised by a strict Catholic who instilled fear and guilt for thinking about anything remotely sexual in him and his other two brothers. He lusts for his hot roommate, Tanner D'Amico, who is 100% straight in Collin's eyes, since he's watched him hook up with a girlfriend every Monday night. But the last Monday night, Tanner showed up girlfriend-less to their dorm room. And whipped his dick out to masturbate in front of Collin. This was the stroke to change everything.

This novella has a lot of sex packed in it, mostly of the frottage, blowjobs and handjobs variety. But it was a nice change to not read about butt sex. Collin's too repressed and guilty for that. I liked the pace of how the two boys progress in their relationship. I loved the guilt Collin felt. I loved that he felt wrong for masturbating, he had hang ups and questioned himself and the things he did with Tanner. Maybe the whole masturbation thing can be argued but I get where Collin was coming from. Being raised in a religious household isn't easy. Not having a few hang ups is closer to a miracle than not.

Tanner is bisexual, more of a free thinking spirit since he grew up way differently that Collin. He was like Collin's friend and guide into finally exploring that side of himself he's been dying to explore. The main characters are in their early 20's and they read age appropriate. The plot was believable enough.

Was it overly deep or prolific? No. I was a little nervous this was going to end up being a drawn out PWP in the beginning (I think the first sex scene was a smidge long - just a bit) but as I read I got to learn more about Collin's background. I hope in book 2, there is more of Tanner's background introduced. We get enough of the backbones that make Tanner tick, but I'd like to read his parents. See him in his stomping grounds maybe.

The last 15% or so got a little dramatic, I don't see Collin's first big step being done as soon as it was. For a kid who is super repressed...that was a major step. I guess it can be argued he was kind of forced to take that step, but something about it read too fast, too soon.

Liked this story a lot. Want more of this series. I need resolution. The story ends with a HFN-ish/ probable HEA in the future ending. Thankfully, I won't have to wait too long for book #2. I do hope this isn't going to be one of those dragged out series but I'm along for the ride for now.

A copy provided for an honest review.